Sitting on a chair is the most detrimental position for the human body yet many of us do it for 8 or more hours each day.
Improving your posture and incorporating ways to counter the long hours of sitting are important habits of health. Doing these will improve breathing and circulation, help put you in a better mood, and reduce pain and tension caused by sitting.
Here are five tips to help you release tension caused by sitting for long periods of time:
1. Stand up and walk around at least once every hour
2. Replace your chair with an exercise ball
3. Stack your hips, ribcage and shoulders in a long vertical line and imagine the head floating buoyantly on top
4. Stretch your hip flexors and quadriceps or see a FST such as myself to get a full body stretch
5. Incorporate more movement into your day. Examples include: riding a bike, going for a swim, walking up stairs, and practicing your dance and rehabilitation exercises at home ; )